Professor of Entrepreneurship
Robert and Edith Schumacher Executive Faculty Fellow in Innovation and Technology
Entrepreneurship and Innovation Department
- PhD, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- MS, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- BS, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Areas of Expertise/Research
- Davis, B. C., Hmieleski, K. M., Webb, J. W., & Coombs, J. E. (2017). Funders’ positive affective reactions to entrepreneurs’ crowdfunding pitches: The influence of perceived creativity and entrepreneurial passion. Journal of Business Venturing, 32, 90-106.
- Hmieleski, K. M., & Lerner, D. A. (2016). The dark triad and nascent entrepreneurship: An examination of unproductive versus productive entrepreneurial motives. Journal of Small Business Management, 54, 7-32.
- Baron, R. A., Franklin, R. J., & Hmieleski, K. M. (2016). Why entrepreneurs often experience low, not high, levels of stress: The joint effects of selection and psychological capital. Journal of Management, 42(3), 742-768.
- Hmieleski, K. M., Carr, J. C., & Baron, R. A. (2015). Integrating discovery and creation perspectives of entrepreneurial action: The relative roles of founding CEO human capital, social capital, and psychological capital in contexts of risk versus uncertainty. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 9(4), 289–312.
- Carr, J. C., & Hmieleski, K. M. (2015). Differences in the outcomes of work and family conflict between family- and non-family businesses: An examination of founding CEOs. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 39(6), 1413–1432.
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Entrepreneurship Researcher of the Year Award, Oklahoma State University Riata Center for Entrepreneurship.
- 2016 Finalist for Neeley School of Business Alumni Professor of the Year
- 2015 Lead author of the sixth most cited article in the field of entrepreneurship according to the Greif Entrepreneurship 5-Year Research Impact Award Rankings (based on articles published in 2009 that were cited in the Social Science Citation Index during the period of 2010-2014)
- 2014 Placed three first-authored articles among the top 75 most cited articles in the field of entrepreneurship according to the Greif Entrepreneurship 5-Year Research Impact Award Rankings (based on articles published in 2008 that were cited in the Social Science Citation Index during the period of 2009-2013)
- 2014 Best reviewer award for Journal of Business Venturing
- 2013 Co-Chair of the Academy of Management (AOM) Entrepreneurship Division Doctoral Consortium
- 2013 Visiting Research Fellow, Babson College
- 2012 Co-Chair of the Academy of Management (AOM) Entrepreneurship Division Doctoral Consortium
- 2012 Co-Director of the Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC) and Doctoral Consortium, co-sponsored by the Neeley School of Business at Texas Christian University
- 2011 Teaching Award for Best Undergraduate Course(Elective or Major), Neeley School of Business at Texas Christian University
- 2011 United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) Award for National Model Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Program (prepared and presented winning proposal with Brad Hancock and Ray Smilor)